Their yellow cake was... meh. A little soapy tasting, for some mysterious reason. The cookie mix is passable, but I much prefer Pamela's. I hadn't tried the brownie mix until this weekend.
How was it, you ask?
It was good. Really good. It comes with little chocolate chunks in the mix, which definitely didn't hurt. The brownies baked up moist, flavorful, and without that dreaded saltwater taffy texture that the Trader Joe's mix seems to have (I have thrown more than a few of those TJs gf mixes in the garbage...).
All in all, I'd give these a B+ for taste, an A- for value, and an A- for texture. Add to that the fact that they can be found at most local grocery stores - including my cute and tiny one here in town - and I'd bump them up to a solid A- overall. Not bad for a company that just started adding in and labeling gluten free products a couple of years ago.
Thanks, Betty Crocker. You make life a little bit easier, sweeter, and tastier for all of us GFJFs out here.
Interesting that you've thrown out Trader Joe's brownie mixes - every one I've ever made (and I have made lots!) has been amazingly wonderful. People can't tell they're GF. I've not tried the BC mix, though.
ReplyDelete