Why GFJF?

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Gluten Free Easter Candy

It's wonderful that so much candy is gluten free, especially for kids with Easter coming up. But some isn't. And label reading gets tricky when the print is tiny on an Easter egg or a chocolate bunny.

So I bring you: the list of gluten free Easter goodness. Fill up your tummies and your Easter baskets with these things, and you'll go home happy.

1. Peeps
Yes, the ever-present Easter staple is gluten free. Both the chicks and the bunnies. Plus, if you put one in the microwave, it will expand like a killer zombie Peep. Always good for entertaining the kiddos.

2. Cadbury Creme Eggs

I didn't check to see if these were gluten free until this year because I was so afraid they wouldn't be. But they are! And they are SO good!

3. Reese's Easter products

Reese's is one of those companies where you have to be careful. The standard-sized peanut butter cups are gluten free, but sometimes the special holiday shapes are not due to different manufacturing facilities and suppliers. However, I have it on good authority that both the Reester bunnies (seriously, how cute is that?) and the Easter Eggs are gluten free.

4. Gimballs Jelly Beans
These are delicious and 100% gluten free. They come in many Jelly Belly-esque flavors, but are around half the price. You can find them at most Wal-Marts, if you haven't run across them yet.

5. Jelly Bellies
The original world's best jelly bean. The only flavor that isn't gluten free is their buttered popcorn (a white bean speckled with yellow). If you pick those out, the rest are good to go. There's very little risk of cross-contamination because the jelly beans are all coated with the same confectioner's glaze which doesn't contain gluten.

Still, if you're worried you can always buy the sour mix, fruity mix, or soda mix, none of which contain the buttered popcorn flavor.

6. Starburst
These are a favorite of mine because it says "gluten free" right on the package, for which I'm thankful. These are great for putting in those plastic hideable Easter eggs because they come individually wrapped. Not good for the environment, sadly, but good for keeping the candy dirt-free. 

Do you have any favorite Easter candy that I could add to this list? What's in your Easter basket this year?


2 comments:

  1. my favorite thing is to make smores out of peeps, kind of morbid to put them on a stick them roast them over a fire...but they are SOOOOO good smooshed between chocolate and graham cracker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea about the Peeps!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave me some love, if you have the time.