My husband and I saw a movie recently, and when in line for snacks (AMC popcorn is gluten free!), the lady behind the counter talked us into buying a discount card, for discounts through the year.
I love seeing movies. They're a great break, and they help me relax and unwind in really helpful ways. I also love, love, love a good story.
Speaking of which, if you haven't seen "Midnight in Paris," check it out. It's really good and fun.
We bought the discount card at the snacks counter, and the lady told us that with our new card we could choose any small candy for $1.
I usually don't buy candy at the movies. It's hard for me to spend $57.95 on a bag of M & Ms that would cost $2 at the drugstore. But candy for $1? At the movies? Sounds good!
My husband and I stood at the counter for a moment, eying the candy rack.
"What can I have?" I asked. This is a moment familiar to all gluten free folk. It's the difference between a regular person's, "What looks good?" and a gluten free eater's, "What won't make me sick for days?" It can take some of the joy out of food choices, if you let it.
Determined not to let it, I pressed on. What candy could I try? None of the normal "safe" candy (M & Ms, Skittles, Starburst) came in the $1 size.
I perused the bottom racks. Gummi bears? Uncertain. Sour Patch watermelon? I'd gotten sick eating them before because of cross contamination. Airheads? Not gluten free. We were miffed.
Out came the cell phones, and we searched for a moment.
Guess what is gluten free?
Milk Duds!
We enjoyed a box of them together, with much joy and nostalgia.
Yet another tasty candy to add to the safe list.
What's your favorite gf movie food?
Don't forget to leave a comment on the "What Would YOU Like?" poll here, to help determine the newest weekly addition to GFJF. The voting results will be in on Thursday morning!
I just called my local AMC and spoke to the manager who told me their popcorn is NOT gluten free. I've heard it varies between states, but shouldn't it be the same since it's a single company? Ugh...so annoying. I'm glad I called though.
ReplyDeleteCat - the popcorn at our local AMC is gf (north Illinois). I've eaten it several times with no ill effects (and I'm SUPER sensitive). It may very well vary by state, though. Where's your AMC?
ReplyDeleteGood thing you checked! An important lesson for us all - never rely on someone else's experience with what is gf, especially in different parts of the country. Always, always, always check.
Thanks for the info!
Airheads are gluten free!
ReplyDeleteIs this, by chance, the AMC in North Barrington? That's my theater and if I could eat popcorn there I would be ecstatic. Also, at least the last time I went to that particular branch, outside food was allowed in.
No, it's at the one in Rockford. I'm not sure about North Barrington, but it'd be worth asking! Sometimes you can get ingredient lists from a manager if you call and ask nicely. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHow fun to find a gluten free JESUS blog by people who live so close to us! We live a little over an hour from Rockford towards Iowa. Thank you for this great resource!!
ReplyDeleteI am very happy to see this post because it really a nice post .Thanks
ReplyDeleteAirheads are not gluten free
ReplyDeleteAnonymous - that's what I said! ;) I wish Airheads were, but they're not.
ReplyDeleteMy son was just recently diagnosed with Celiac and I spent this evening sorting out his Halloween candy stash. Airheads are one if his favorites and I am curious about those saying they are and those saying they are not gluten free. The website says they do not contain gluten but that they are manufactured in a facility that also manufactures gluten products. I emailed them to ask if the gluten products were manufactured on the same equipment. Has anyone called or emailed the company?
ReplyDelete