If so, you probably know about something we treasure around these parts called the Fish Fry.
On Friday nights at restaurants throughout Wisconsin we heat up the oil, batter the fish, and fry, fry, fry. Fish Fry is served with French fries, potato pancakes, applesauce, coleslaw, or all four.
This whole meal appalled my California husband when my family first took him out for one.
"You mean, you eat fries with your fried fish?" he said, turning a little bit green. Hey Sweetie, it's not like you Californians are all fresh fruit and rice cakes! (See my husband's penchant for such unhealthy L.A. staples as The Hat and The Original Tommy's, where the chili seeps through the take-out bags until they are translucent...).
Since going gf, I've had to live without one of my favorite Wisconsin staples. I could fry up some fish in my own kitchen, but the best thing about eating a Fish Fry is being in denial about unhealthy it is... which is easier if I don't cook it myself.
I didn't know of a single restaurant serving gf Fish Fry.
Until today.
Thanks to Celiac in the City, a Milwaukee resident, I now know of a place where I can eat gf fried fish to my little heart's content.
Key Westconsin, in Waukesha! They have a FRIDAY NIGHT FISH FRY! Woo hoo!
Does it look like a silly and somewhat campy restaurant? Yes!
Is even its name a corny pun? Yes!
Does it look delicious? YES! YES! YES!
I cannot wait to check it out. It's going on the calendar for a date night soon.
And hubby will be happy - they also have steak, salads, and completely unfried seafood.
Has anyone been here? How was it?
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments! Leave me some love, if you have the time.