Are you part of a small group, either in your church or with another group of believers?
Small groups are a model for ministry that is often viewed as the best way to grow within a faith community.
Church is important, of course, but there is just something about spending extended time with other believers, studying Scripture, and encouraging one another, that leads people to Jesus in a deeper way.
When I was a teenager, my friends and I would drive out to a nearby Christian camp, where we'd gather for Bible studies in the living room of a family from church. Our youth pastor would lead us in a study, after which we'd pray, hang out together, and drink enough Mountain Dew to wake a coma patient.
I remember quite a bit from those years. The various boys I was interested in (and they were legion...), the hilarious White Elephant games, and the occasions where I'd be brave enough to lead worship with my guitar.
But more than the peripherals, I remember meeting Jesus and being encouraged to follow him. I watched the leaders as they followed him. I watched my peers as they learned to follow him.
I learned that it was okay to say things like:
"I messed up."
and
"I'm scared."
and
"This part of the Bible totally confuses me."
and
"I am struggling to be obedient right now."
I remember my leaders and peers lifting me up in prayer, offering hugs, Scriptures, encouragement, and love. I remember words like:
"You don't have to be perfect."
and
"God's walking beside you through this."
Those lessons have stayed with me and, in many ways, have been part of the catalyst that God used to lead me to seminary.
I'm so grateful to my leaders, be they youth pastors (thanks, Mel and Curt!) or adult volunteers (thanks, Bill & Nancy, Anne & Scott, Mark, Trevor, Amy, and Kelly!) or simply parents who cared enough to get involved (thanks, Mom & Dad, Pam & Chuck, Cheri & Pat, Doug & Donna, Eric & Sue Beth, and so many more!).
There is something profoundly important about small groups and small group ministry. I'm a big believer.
In a small group, there is room to cry, to share, to admit that we don't have things all figured out. It's a place to be vulnerable, to show our needs and frustrations, and to seek after Jesus together. It's a place to ask for prayer when we need it, and to offer prayer for others when we can.
A small group need not be anything formal. In college, my husband ended up forming a small group with two roommates that continues to this day. They've kindly grafted in us wives, and we try to meet together every year for encouragement and prayer, even though we live across the world.
I value these times so, so much, especially as our lives continue to grow and change.
My husband and I are working to start new small groups at our church, and we've been deeply encouraged by the response. People are hungry for Jesus, and small groups are a great way to learn more about him and about Christian community.
So, my question for you today is, are you part of a small group?
If so, why?
If not, why not?
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments! Leave me some love, if you have the time.