I love Whole Foods. It's pricey (some friends of mine refer to it as "Whole Paycheck"). It's a little snooty. But man, do they have a great selection of fresh and gluten free stuff.
At the Expo this weekend, I got to meet Lee and hear a bit about his story.
Lee was diagnosed with Celiac years ago, while he was working at a Whole Foods bakery. After his diagnosis, he began experimenting with gluten free flour blends, trying to replicate the products Whole Foods was already producing, but in gluten free form. So began the Whole Foods Gluten Free Bakehouse.
Lee was also the guy who helped bake the world's largest gluten free cake that will be celebrated this coming Wednesday in Washington D.C., as folks try to pass legislation to better regulate gluten free labeling.
If you're a gluten free eater, or sympathetic to those who are, please sign the petition here.
This poor guy admitted that he'd worked a 15-hour day the day before the Expo because he had to mix up 700 pounds of frosting for the record-setting cake. Now THAT's love.
Mom and I also got to sample the brand new white sandwich bread from the Whole Foods Bakehouse. It was delicious. Light, airy, moist, with a great texture. It will retail for around $5.99, and is almost twice as big as a loaf of Udi's.
Will my allegiance change from my beloved Udi's to this new Whole Foods version? It will depend on whether the Whole Foods brand is accessible to me at the stores I shop at here in south-central Wisconsin. It will also depend on how well the bread defrosts. I love that my Udi's sits on the countertop all week like "normal" bread, but still tastes amazing.
That said, I'm super excited for the new gf stuff coming out of Whole Foods recently. And having met Lee and heard his story, I'm even more behind their goodies.
Do you have a favorite Whole Foods product? Share!



No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments! Leave me some love, if you have the time.