Why GFJF?

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Meet 27 - A GF Must-Try in Baltimore


Any plans to go to Baltimore in the next few months? Because if you do, you HAVE to stop at Meet 27.

My husband and I stopped here after a visit to a gluten free bakery just down the street. In fact, we thought that Meet 27 WAS the bakery due to some confusing signage, but it turns out it was a full-service restaurant. After picking up some cupcakes (more on those later!) at the neighboring bakery, we returned to see about dinner.


Meet 27 had a sign in the window saying they could accommodate "gluten free, soy free, or casein free." This was a good sign, but I am a wary customer unless there is an explicit gluten free menu. Would it be safe to eat here?
We sat down at a table near the window and were met by a very charming and helpful waiter. 

"Tell me about how you accommodate gluten free diets," I said.

"Everything here is gluten free," he responded.

My heart skipped a beat. "REALLY?" I asked. "Even the HAMBURGER BUNS?"

"Made in house," he said proudly.

Talk about stumbling into the right restaurant!


My husband had the Mexican burger with mango ketchup, fresh salsa, and sweet potato fries.


I had the Mediterranean burger with buffalo mozzarella, pesto, and sweet potato fries. Those fries were HEAVEN. The buns were delicious - light and airy but very flavorful with spices and a variety of flours. I could have eaten just a toasted bun and been quite happy.


When we praised the food up and down (as, indeed, it was worthy of great praise), the waiter also brought out some free mango lycees for us to try, on the house.
Turns out that Meet 27 has only been open for six weeks so far. Six weeks! And we had stumbled in off of the street like the two weary travelers we were. Could the day get better? I submit that it could not!



So really, if you are anywhere near Baltimore/D.C./Theentireeastcoast, make a stop here. The prices were more than reasonable ($8-9 for a burger and fries), and the food was incredible.

Yum, Meet 27. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave me some love, if you have the time.