Why GFJF?

Friday, June 17, 2011

On Women in Ministry


As a women pastor who hangs out with many women pastors (including Katie, pictured above, my wonderful UCC pastor-friend), I often get to have interesting conversations with others about being a woman in ministry and what it means to be a leader in a male-dominated profession.

I'm not a member of the pioneer generation - those first women to courageously answered God's call and showed up in the pulpit seventy or fifty or thirty years ago. Most people don't bat an eye when they hear that I'm a pastor.

If anything, I get this response: "But... you're so... YOUNG!"

To which I generally respond: "Yup. I'm twelve." That usually gets a laugh.

Still, being a woman minister (and a "young" one, at that) makes me something of an anomaly. Being a minister is odd enough. Being a female one? Under 30? That's kinda like being a unicorn.

So I'm always on the lookout for resources on women in ministry, both to offer to those who aren't sure it's the right place for a woman (and I absolutely do not judge this position - it's the one I grew up believing), and for my fellow women-in-ministry and those who support them.

Some resources that have blessed me recently:

First, Congregational Resource Guide's "On Good Authority" podcast featuring two good friends, Megan Dewald Kline and Iliana Wood.

Secondly, for those still on the fence about women in ministerial leadership, I highly recommend Alan Johnson's book How I Changed My Mind About Women in Leadership.

Finally, the diverse and useful blog resources of:

Rev Gal Blog Pals, where women ministers gather for encouragement, prayers, and shared liturgy and sermon resources;

Laurie and Mary over at Dirty Sexy Ministry, who grapple with the real questions of being both a woman and a minister; 

Christianity Today's Gifted for Leadership and Her.Menutics blogs for women;

and wonderful, dear PeaceBang over at Beauty Tips for Ministers, who gives the fashion advice that most female ministers deeply appreciate (such as, for example, "What shoes DO you wear to a graveside service when you need to look professional but not sink into the lawn in high heels?").

What do you think about women in ministry? Are there any in the church you currently attend? If not, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave me some love, if you have the time.