Why GFJF?

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Gluten Free Simplicity


I always get a chuckle when I read recipes like this on gluten free blogs or in gluten free cookbooks:


Gluten Free Cranberry Muffins
Ingredients:
1/4 c. arrowroot flour
1/4 c. sorghum flour
1/2 c. almond flour
1/3 c. tapioca starch
1/4 c. sweet rice flour
2 T. cornmeal
1 c. blanched almond flour
1/2 c. white rice flour
1/4 c. brown rice flour
2 1/4 t. gluten free oats
2 t. xanthan gum
1 T. impossible-to-find ingredient
1/2 t. ingredient-that-costs-$16-per-ounce
1 t. baking powder
1 c. brown sugar or 3/4 c. honey
1/4 c. coconut oil
1 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. slivered almonds
1/4 c. walnuts
1 c. organic spinach


Ooookay... I'm sure this is delicious, but I'm exhausted from just reading this list. Who has the time or the wallet for this many ingredients? I sure don't.


I work long, wonderful hours at my job, and the free time I have I like to use reading, exercising, and spending time with friends. Baking is on my free time list, but more like an hour or two a week, not eight or ten hours.


I have the utmost respect for you gluten free bakers out there who bake like this, I am just not one of you.


I bake because I miss certain things: muffins, cornbread, pie. When I have the time, I want baking to be easy.


This is why I'm a baking mix girl.


You've heard me sing the praises of Pamela's Gluten Free mixes before. I have yet to meet a Pamela's mix that I don't either like or love. They are fluffy and yummy and SUPER easy to use. The only downside to cooking mostly with Pamela's mixes is that all the products end up tasting a little bit the same. So it's high time I learned to broaden my scope to a second type of mix.


My mom was in town last month, and when she visited me she brought me a gift: Jeanne's baking mix from The Art of Gluten Free Baking. Holla!


In addition to bringing the mix, on a day when I had several hospital visits AND it was rainy and cold out, I came home at the end of a long day to smell... Heaven...


She made dinner rolls. They had been out of the oven only a minute. When I stepped in the back door of my house and smelled those rolls I almost passed out with joy. No one knows what gives a rainy day a hint of sunshine better than a mom.


So Jeanne's dinner roll recipe, from The Art of Gluten Free Baking and my mom, to you. Simple. Easy. Delicious.


Dinner Rolls
3 c. Jeanne’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix (recipe for this mix can be found here.)
2 t. xanthan gum
4 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/4 c. sugar
2 T. yeast
2 c. warm milk (or milk substitute, or water)
2 tsp vinegar 
2 large eggs
1/4 c. olive oil 


Mix the yeast with the warm milk. Sift the dry ingredients together. Beat the wet ingredients together. Combine all ingredients and mix on high for three minutes. Scoop into the individual cups of a muffin pan. Let rise for 45 minutes. Brush tops with butter. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.


Let them cool. Pop them out. Inhale them.


Yum.

1 comment:

  1. When I used to be vegan, I would have the same problems with recipes like "Vegan chorizo tacos." Really!?! If I wanted to have chorizo THAT badly, I probably would have just eaten the real thing. Glad you stick to simple foods...I still think they are the best!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave me some love, if you have the time.