Why GFJF?
▼
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
It's Not Just Me
It's funny how having a "food issue" instantly binds you in solidarity to anyone else who has one.
My grandpa and I have wonderful conversations about the intersection of diabetic cooking and gluten free cooking. Gluten free flours are generally lower in carbs (particularly almond and bean flours), so I try to bake for him when I'm up at my parents' home.
My friends with dairy intolerances, allergies to peanuts, mangoes, or corn syrup, or low-carb diets now know that my house is the place for dinner.
My grandma and I talked about "super foods" and low-sodium diets for an hour while I whipped up some chicken for us for dinner last week (salt, pepper, and rosemary on mine, only pepper on hers).
My younger sister called me the other day to ask about different types of milk after her youngest daughter started turning her nose up at cow's milk.
It's a good reminder that I'm not alone. That being gluten free is not the trickiest of food issues. That "normal" eaters are becoming more and more rare.
I'm grateful for the company.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments! Leave me some love, if you have the time.